Friday 15 January 2016

University Personal Statement

Graphic Design appeals to me in a number of ways, from recording my own life experiences to influencing others by various means of communication. It allows me to express my personal feelings about a subject but also explore a wide range of design elements, from t-shirt designs, posters and logos. As a graphic designer I want to inspire others and create unique designs that leave a lasting legacy for years to come. To achieve my goals, I am currently studying an Art and Design Foundation Diploma. This has given me an opportunity to explore different areas of art and design, learn new methods and concepts, whilst putting my own style into the designs I create. For example, studying the history of Art and Design I was able to research into the influences of graphic design by looking at work by the movement DADA, with their use of typography, photomontage and collages. A key focus for me this year was to record my design ideas in a sketchbook, prior to developing these on the computer. Since adopting this process I have discovered that sketching creates more ideas, which in turn create stronger designs. The course has widened my horizon, changing my approach to the subject and improving my skills as a designer. My portfolio expresses the best of my abilities and demonstrates how much I have learned so far in the subject. To further my passion for design, I am also studying Product Design at 'A Level'. This allows me to explore a different area of the subject, using CAD/CAM to produce my products in 3D and 2D. This has provided me with invaluable experience of taking a concept design through to the manufacturing stage, using 3D printers, laser cutters and other workshop methods. Having the practical skills in knowing how a product can be physically created, has given me the insight into how I structure my initial ideas. Innovation made into reality. I am passionate about design. I continually seek inspiration and knowledge from a number of references such as magazines, brands and the environment around me. I subscribe to the Computer Arts magazine, reviewing projects by leading designers. It is really interesting to see how a project develops from a brief to the final design. I frequently study Aaron James Draplin's website, looking at how he has created different brand identities using a range of sources past and present. This has influenced me in experimenting with different design techniques. I also use social media such as Youtube to develop my knowledge of design software and Twitter to keep up-to-date with current trends in graphic design. Finally, I spent a day at Diva Creative. This provided a great insight into how a design agency operates and confirmed my desire to be a designer. Outside of college I have a number of interests. I am employed as a supervisor by Centerplate UK based at New York Stadium, Rotherham. I manage two members of staff in the boardroom, responsible for total service during the events. This role has developed my management and communication skills. In my free time I play rubgy for Dinnington Rugby Club. This has taught me how to work effectively within a team environment, whilst striving to achieve a common goal. I have also been involved with Scout movement since the age of eight. My proudest moment was when I was selected at the age of fourteen to represent my country at the World Scout Jamboree in Sweden in 2011. Presently, I am a scout leader, teaching eight to fourteen year olds the skills I have developed during my time in scouting. My scouting experiences have taught me loyalty, teamwork, leadership and communication skills. A Graphic Design degree would be the next step in fulfilling my ambition of being a designer. It would give me a good foundation from which to launch my career and gain a wealth of skills and experience for future employment.In return, I will bring determination, creativity, commitment and a passion to succeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment